SANAA - Unidentified gunmen shot dead a French man in the Yemeni capital Sanaa on Monday, security sources said.
The interior ministry confirmed the attack, but only said that a “foreigner” had been killed and two other people wounded in the shooting.
The security sources said the gunmen, who had been driving a four-by-four car without licence plates, blocked the vehicle the French man was in and opened fire.
Last month a German diplomat was wounded during an apparent kidnapping attempt by unidentified gunmen.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for Monday’s attack. In Paris, French foreign ministry officials could not confirm the report. Yemen is home to al Qaeda in the Arabian Peninsula, which authorities have blamed for a string of attacks on security forces.
Last week the Yemeni army launched a major offensive in the militants’ strongholds in two southern provinces.
The US ally is trying to overcome nearly three years of political turmoil which began when protests erupted in 2011 against President Ali Abdullah Saleh’s 33 years in office. He has since stepped down.