NAWAIWAQT GROUP
 
 
 
French victim of SARS-like virus dies
 
 
 

PARIS - France's first victim of a SARS-like virus which the 65-year-old man is thought to have contracted in Dubai, has died, health officials said Tuesday. "The first patient is dead," a spokesman with the Directorate General for Health said, referring to the man who was hospitalised on April 23.
Meanwhile, an outbreak of H1N1 flu has killed 17 people in Venezuela and infected another 250, private media and local authorities said on Monday. H1N1, often referred to as swine flu, was a flu strain that swept around in the world in a 2009/2010 pandemic.
"We're suffering a tail-end of the pandemic," a former Venezuelan health minister, Rafael Orihuela, told a local TV station, commenting on the widespread reports of 17 deaths in the South American nation of 29 million people.
Most of the cases were in border states near Colombia.
Venezuela's government has not confirmed the figures given by media and local health authorities. But officials said high-risk groups had largely been immunized, with 3 million vaccinations carried out so far this year.
The World Health Organization's (WHO) official data show 18,500 people were reported killed in the 2009/2010 H1N1 pandemic, but a study in The Lancet last year said the actual death toll may have been up to 15 times higher at more than 280,000.

 
 
on epaper page 10
 
 
more in International
 
Comments
comments powered by Disqus
 
 
NAWAIWAQT GROUP