NAWAIWAQT GROUP
 
 
 
No progress on missing persons' issue irks SC
 
 
 
No progress on missing persons\' issue irks SC

ISLAMABAD - The Supreme Court Thursday noted that the authorities except giving assurances have doing nothing to trace out missing persons as their relatives were running from pillar to post to know the detail about their near and dear ones.
Justice Nasir ul Mulk heading a two-member bench said: "The matter is being pending before the court since 2010 but still the authorities concerned did nothing except giving assurances as no progress has been made on Balochistan missing persons' issue." The court directed Secretary Defence Lt-Gen (Retd) Asif Yasin Malik to submit report regarding the outcome of his meeting held on Friday in the Ministry of Defence over missing persons of Blaochistan.
Onset of the proceeding, the court was informed that the Secretary Defence and Secretary Interior could not appear before the court as they were attending a meeting on the missing persons in the Ministry of Defence. The court took short break directing that both Secretary Defence and Secretary Interior should appear before the court. After the interval when hearing of the case resumed, Secretary Defence Asif Yasin Malik appearing before the court submitted that he was busy in a meeting in the ministry on missing persons of Balochistan issue.
Justice Nasir ul Mulk inquired from the Secretary Defence about the details of the meeting. Malik replied that he left the meeting inconclusive. He, however, claimed that around 1,100 persons were missing in Blaochistan province and considerable numbers have been found. He said they have made maximum progress in the instant case, assuring to make further progress. Earlier, Additional Attorney General Shah Khawar informed the court that those officials who were allegedly involved in enforced disappearances incidents in the province were ready to appear before the military courts under Army Act, adding but the court had earlier directed that these officials should appear before the DG CID. At this Justice Nasir ul Mulk observed that the court wanted to resolve missing persons of Balochistan issue. Justice Gulzar Ahmed observed that the matter is of serious nature, adding if anyone was involved in illegal activities then he should be dealt as per law.
In the last hearing on December 19, 2013, acting IG FC Balochistan Brigadier Khalid Saleem had informed the court that a total of 19 non-commissioned officers (NCO) were reported to be involved in enforced disappearances in Balochistan. The court then had sought report from acting IG FC pertaining to steps taken pertaining to the officials of FC, allegedly involved in enforced disappearance of people in the province of Blaochistan. The hearing was adjourned till February 20.
MINORITIES' WORSHIP PLACES SECURITY: SC SEEKS REPORT FROM PROVINCES: The Supreme Court Thursday sought a comprehensive report from all the four provinces pertaining to the problems being faced by minorities and measures taken so far for the protection of their worship places. A three-member bench of the apex court headed by Chief Justice Tassaduq Hussain Jillani heard a suo moto case of Peshawar Church blast.
Last year, in September two explosions at All Saint's Church Kohati Gate, in Peshawar area killed 80 people and wounded over 100 others.
The court took strong notice of the appearance of a section officer from Home Department Lahore. It said the situation has reached at such level that now instead of Advocate General of the province, section officer appearing in the matter before the apex court. During the proceedings, the advocate generals Khyber Pakhtunkhwa (KPK) and Sindh apprised the bench that in pursuance of the court's earlier orders they have submitted reports in the matter. Representatives of minority submitted a list of issues in written form upon which the bench directed the concerned branch to make the document as part of the current matter.
Advocate General Khyber Pukhutnkhwa (KPK) Abdul Latif Yousafzai informed the court that the Governor KPK had announced Rs100 million for the Peshawar Church blast affectees out of them Rs 60.78 million had been disbursed.
He informed the court that Prime Minister Mian Muhammad Nawaz Sharif announced a compensation amount Rs 100 million for the bomb blast affectees but so far the funds have not been released. Upon that Justice Sheikh Azmat Saeed remarked that government should honour the financial commitment.
Later, the court adjourned the hearing till February 20.

 
 
on epaper page 4
 
 
more in Islamabad

ISLAMABAD - Muslims across the country observed Jumat-ul-Wida, last Friday of the holy month...

ISLAMABAD - Pakistan security officials said on Thursday they had arrested a top militant ne...

 
Comments
comments powered by Disqus
 
 
NAWAIWAQT GROUP