KARACHI - Pakistan Sunni Tehreek chief Sarwat Ijaz Qadri on Saturday owned target killers arrested from Murree and said he would defend them before the court of law.
Interacting with newsmen here, Qadri said many PST leaders and workers had left Karachi for security fears and that the PST men arrested from Murree had left the city for the same reason.
He said PST had suspended activities at its offices across the city, keeping in view threats to party leaders and workers. Many PST leaders and workers had been killed in targeted attacks in Karachi, he said while adding, “Some were even kidnapped and burnt alive.”
Talking about the operation in Karachi, Qadri said PST would back government’s efforts to curb violence.
He also complained that no headway had been made about the Nishtar Park tragedy in which about 50 innocent people including top PST leaders were killed. He demanded a probe into the carnage and arrest of culprits.
Earlier, Karachi police during a press conference made a disclosure about the arrest of 14 alleged assassins picked up by security agencies from Murree a few days ago. Police claimed the killers belonged to a politico-religious party (Sunni Tehreek).
According to police, the culprits confessed to having killed around a dozen and a half people, among them workers of Muttahida Qaumi Movement. Police said the arrested men were involved in a number of cases of extortion and robberies in Old City areas. According to a police commando, Sarwar, the arrested men were affiliated with Sunni Tehreek and had nexus with Lyari gangsters.
DIG South Abdul Khalique Shaikh told newsmen the culprits had been assigned areas to collect extortion money from.
They used to provide major amount of extortion money to their operative, Faisal Qadri, and distributed the remaining amount among them. He said the culprits had licensed weapons.
Talking about ongoing operations and targeted raids in Karachi, DIG Shaikh said the operation was being conducted across the board and police had arrested 1,809 suspects including target killers, extortionists and kidnappers affiliated with different political and banned outfits.
“The instructions have also been issued to police officials concerned to collect details of suspects released on parole,” he added. Shaikh said action against police officials involved in patronizing crimes and criminals would be taken.
Talking about nomination of MQM leader Nabeel Gabol in Zafar Baloch murder, Shaikh said police had registered the case on the complaint of the victim’s family as it was their right.
“We are investigating the case from different angles and police would not arrest Gabool if is found not guilty.