KARACHI - Sindh Health Minister Dr Saghir Ahmed has said that more than 11.9 million children have been given anti-measles vaccine during the ongoing twelve day anti-polio and measles drive across Sindh.
He was speaking at the review meeting of measles drive held at his office on Friday. He said the ongoing anti-measles drive will be concluded today (May 31). He said that if any worker was found guilty he would be punished.
Measles took 14 lives in Sindh, while 13 belonged to only Thatta district. During the ongoing year 133 confirmed cases have been reported in Sindh. Last year the death toll of measles was 14 in the province. Around 13.3 million children will be vaccinated during the current drive.
During the meeting the officials of EPI presented statistics of the campaign. They said 11.9 million children included 5.67 million children up to five years, while 6.23 million children of between five to 10 years old.
Talking about Neagleria cases in Karachi, Dr Saghir said that citizens were advised to use boiled or chlorinated water for cleaning the nose, as brain eating amoeba, enters in body through nose.
“The cases of disease reported mainly during the summer. Signs and symptoms of the infection included severe frontal headache, fever, nausea, vomiting, stiff neck, seizures, altered mental status, hallucination and coma,” he added.