KARACHI - On the call of various Sindh nationalist parties, a shutter-down strike was observed across the province Wednesday against the alleged action on their activists and Tuesday’s crackers blasts. However, four more cracker attacks rocked Dadu, but no loss was reported in the cracker blasts.
It should be mentioned that the JSMM and other nationalist parties had given strike call to protest against the unwarranted arrest and killing of their activists and Tuesday’s cracker blasts. A shutter-down, wheel jam strike was observed in Dadu, Khairpur, Jamshoro, Mehar, Tando Mohammad Khan and some other small towns of interior Sindh, while the life in Sukkur remained normal.
The strike paralysed the routine life in many towns of Sindh, with the government and private schools and business activities closed and thin public transport on roads.
The Sindh University and Liaquat Medical University postponed their scheduled examinations in view of the precarious situation emanating from Tuesday’s scores of serial cracker blasts in several towns of Sindh interior including Hyderabad and Karachi. The Sindh University spokesman said that the BA, BSc, BCom and MA papers were postponed to uncertain law and order situation and strike.
On the other hand, some unknown persons hurled four crackers at new bus stop, new chowk and Qasai Mohalla in Dadu and forcing the people to remain confined in their houses.
Earlier on Tuesday, 33 serial cracker blasts took place in Karachi, Hyderabad, Kotri, Nawabshah, Larkana, Dadu, Naushero Feroze, and Khairpur that killed one person and two injured in Hyderabad, while three vehicles were also torched in Kotri.
Officials said at least 16 people associated with the banned nationalist group have been arrested in different towns of Sindh.
Sindh Chief Minister Qaim Ali Shah also took notice of the coordinated blasts and directed the police to file cases against criminals under the Anti-Terrorism Act. Security was beefed up across the province, with police and Rangers patrolling in various cities.