LAHORE - Interior Ministry on Thursday told the Lahore High Court that the charges against Syed Ali Musa Gilani, a prime accused in a multimillion ephedrine case, are to be framed in special court as a final challan has already been filed in this regard.
“If Musa’s name is removed from the exit control list, there are chances that he might escape from the country and the whole trial will suffer a lot,” said the ministry in a reply submitted in the court during the hearing of a petition moved by former primer Syed Yousuf Raza Gilani’s son seeking removal of his name from the ECL. The ministry’s reply quoted the Anti Narcotics Force response over the matter as saying that Musa is involved in the ephedrine case and there were sufficient evidence against him. The material evidence connecting the accused with the heinous crime stated that he was the man character behind the grant of ephedrine quota to the newly-constituted companies in excess of the entitlement and to convert the export status of ephedrine to that of local consumption, the reply further quoted the ANF response.
The ministry requested the court to dismiss Ali Musa’s petition as he was the main character who misused the office of the prime minister (his father), pressurising the ministry of health staff for allocation of ephedrine.
Justice Ejaz Ahmed reviewed the reply and adjourned hearing until February 1, directing the ANF to submit its reply.
Ali Musa Gilani through his counsel Advocate Khalid Ranjha submitted that the ministry on May 15, 2013 had put his name on ECL over the mere allegations against him. He pointed out that the Supreme Court had granted bail to the petitioner in the said case, and had not issued any directions to put his name on the ECL.
He alleged that the interim government had put his name on the ECL after nursing a grudge against him as he and his father was criticising the rulers over the kidnapping of his brother, Ali Haider Gilani. He requested the court to issue directions to the ministry of interior to immediately remove his name from the ECL.
NOTICES ON PLEA AGAINST BOYCOTT OF PROCEEDINGS
The Lahore High Court Chief Justice on Thursday again issued notices to Pakistan Bar Council and Punjab Bar Council on a petition against lawyers incessant boycott of court proceedings.
The petitioner Barrister Iqbal Jaffrey submitted that the bar associations and bar councils had made it a routine to announce boycott of courts to get their demands materialised.
He said that the judicial work came to a halt due to strike calls and the poor litigants suffered a lot.
During strikes, the lawyers also misbehaved with the judges and pressurised them to end the judicial work, the lawyer added.
He requested the court to issue directions to the lawyers bodies not to observe strikes.
Jaffrey said Indian Supreme Court had banned lawyers boycott of court proceedings in 2003 and there had been no strike since then.
He said lawyers strike is tantamount to murder of justice.
He requested the court to impose a ban on lawyers boycott to court proceedings.
He said that the references had been forwarded to Bar Councils against the lawyers involved in such unruly incidents and the councils suspended their licences.
As nobody appeared on behalf of bar councils and associations, the court reissued notices to them and adjourned hearing for January 28th.