QUETTA - As many as 18 security personnel were wounded in a roadside bomb blast in Sibi district while two people were killed in Quetta and Jaffarabad districts of Balochistan, on Monday.
According to police, a convoy of security forces was heading towards Kohlu district from Sibi when it was attacked with explosives in Kat Mandai area of Sibi. At least 18 security personnel were wounded and two vehicles were badly damaged in the blast.
Police and other law enforcement agencies rushed to the site after the incident and shifted the injured to nearby hospital for first aid and then moved them to Quetta for further treatment. Hospital sources said that condition of three personnel was serious.
The injured were identified as Naib Subedar Akthar, Hawaldar Zameer, Naik Sajjad, Falak Sher, Lance Naik Muhammad Khan, Rahat Gul, Sepoy Abdul Ghaffor, Imran Khan, Tariq, Ghulam Yaseen, Sanaullah, Zahirud Din, Sher Bahadur, Jan Muhammad Ishtiyaq Ahmed, Asmatullah and Muhammad Younus.
Police sources said that initial investigation reports suggested that the explosives were planted along the roadside which were detonated through a remote controlled device and the security forces convoy was the main target. After the incident, security personnel launched a search operation in the area. No group claimed responsibility for the attack, however, it is said that Baloch insurgents may be behind the attack.
In another incident, a policeman was gunned down at Sariab Road of Quetta. Police officials said that head constable Munir Ahmed was on his way home when armed men riding a motorbike sprayed him with bullets at Arif Line of Sariab Road. The policeman died on the spot and the assailants fled the scene. Motive behind the murder was yet to be ascertained.
In Usta Muhammad tehsil of Jaffarabad district, one Ameen allegedly shot dead his wife Mukthara and fled the scene. Police said that domestic issue could be behind the murder.
A case had been registered and further investigations were underway.