PESHAWAR - Flaws in criminal justice system particularly in investigation mechanism and evidence process are the main causes of acquittal of terror suspects, and only a few have been tried and charged in cases of terrorism.
Badly affected by militancy, the Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, a frontline province in the war on terror and bears the burnt of terrorism, as just in last nine months, a total of 290 people were killed, 720 injured in some 61 acts of terrorism in the province alone.
Hundreds of terror suspects have been apprehended in operations carried out by law enforcement agencies from time to time. They are in the government custody under internment regulations known as Action in Aid of Civil Power Regulations 2011. These suspects have been arrested on charges of terrorism. Majority of these people have been apprehended from Swat and other districts of Malakand Division, and various tribal agencies. Counter-terror experts said that problems in investigation and evidence processes have benefit the suspects terror to get acquittal.
Legal experts said that those suspects who are charged in terrorism appeal and in most of the cases, it has been witnessed that suspects are made free just because of lack of evidence and proper law.
They said that trial of suspects is very essential for the success in the war against terror. They hold the provincial government responsible for failing to devise an efficient investigative process to help judiciary reach judgment on solid grounds.
They said that courts cannot decide in a vacuum. They need solid evidence to convict a criminal, and that is the responsibility of the prosecuting agency.
However, in the same breath they said that it is hard to put life in danger by giving evidence against suspected militants, who know how to take revenge. It is evident enough that even cases of high profile militants are not heard in the open court but in jails.
In KPK, in last one week, three major acts of terrorism have occurred. In the first incident some 86 Christians in the Peshawar church blast, followed by another blast at a Charsadda-bound bus leaving 20 people killed and 37 injured while on Sunday.
People have raised many questions on security arrangements.
They said that so far the government has failed to protect them and their properties as over 80 shops were also destroyed in last Sunday car bomb blast.