ISLAMABAD - Interior Minister Rehman Malik on Saturday, while ruling out the possibility of launching of any military operation in Balochistan, said all the 14 militant organisations operating in the province had been banned, the other day by the Ministry of Interior under his directions.
He also welcomed the statement of Baloch leader Brahamdagh Bugti, in which he said he was leading a political party and not a militant group.
“I welcome the statement of Brahamdagh and he should also disown the deputy of his party who is staying in Kandahar, Afghanistan, and involved in major terrorist activities in Balochistan,” Malik said, adding that the statement showed Brahamdagh had a soft corner for Pakistan.
He also invited Brahamdagh and his deputy to come back and negotiate with them on all issues. According to a document of the Ministry of Interior, these 14 militant organizations are: Balochistan Liberation Army, Balochistan Liberation Front, Balochistan Republican Army, Balochistan Bunyad Parast Army, Tehreek Nifaz-e-Aman, Lashkar-e-Jhangvi, Lashkar-e-Balochistan, Tahaffuz Hadudullah, Balochistan Waja Liberation Army, Baloch Republican Party Azad, Balochistan United Army, Islam Mujahidin, Jesh-e-Islam and Balochistan National Liberation Army.
Malik ruled out the possibility of launching an operation in the province and said there was no plan of the government to take extreme step. “Operation was not the solution of Balochistan issue but we have to find a political solution of it and all political parties will have to think over it,” he further said. He said a cabinet committee would shortly visit Balochistan and it was ready to talk with all estranged Baloch leader and separatists.
Malik said the people of Balochistan loved Pakistan and only paid touts were doing illegal activities there. He also urged all the Baloch youth to give up terrorist activities and come back and assured them to provide employment.
“Many of them were part of the insurgent movements due to extreme poverty and unemployment,” he explained.
Rebutting the recent statement Federal Minister Mir Changez Khan Jamali regarding that security forces were involved in kidnapping and killing incident in Balochistan, Malik said it would be his personal view but he was not the interior minister of the country.
“Don’t demoralise our own law enforcement agencies,” he said. Replying to a question, Malik said diplomatically all actions were being taken to stop the involvement of foreign countries including Afghanistan in Balochistan. Responding to another question in connection with the recent statement of Leader of the Opposition in National Assembly Chaudhry Nisar Ali Khan that Rehman Malik should contact UK court to initiate proceeding against Sharif brothers in money laundering case, he asked why he would get justice form foreign court.
“Don’t adopt double standards. When some allegation is leveled against PPP, we are asked to face local courts and for them (PML-N) why foreign courts,” he questioned.