QUETTA – Chief Justice of Pakistan Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, while hearing the Balochistan law and order case on Tuesday, termed Nawab Akbar Bugti’s killing the biggest mistake in country’s history and said there could be no peace until the Dera Bugti matter was resolved and ordered authorities to settle the issue within two weeks.
The apex court issued directives to the interior and defence secretaries to appear in person before court and apprise bench about the progress made so far to bring improvement in overall law and order situation in the province.
A three-judge bench of the apex court, comprising Chief Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, Justice Khilji Arif Hussain and Justice Jawwad S Khawaja was hearing cases of missing persons and law and order situation of Balochistan on Tuesday.
The court directed that the names of Bugti family should be included into the voter lists, adding that Bugti family could not be prevented from going to Dera Bugti.
During the hearing, Akbar Bugti’s son and Jamhoori Watan Party (JWP) chief Nawabzada Talal Bugti appeared before the court and said his leaving would result in external forces taking over Dera Bugti. He said foreign element was involved in Balochistan unrest, adding police were aware of crimes being committed in Dera Bugti. He said situation could be controlled through local representatives.
The CJP addressing Talal Bugti said they would be allowed to go Dera Bugti soon. The CJP also inquired about the occupation of lands of Nawab Bugti. The court was also informed that arrest warrant of a former sector in-charge ISI, Brigadier Siddique, had been issued in connection with a missing person case.
Expressing dissatisfaction over the Balochistan government report on missing persons, the CJP remarked that instead of making progress they were moving backward. “There is nothing left in a situation when our Sessions Judge is killed, we go to any extent in such a situation” he added.
Over absence of Attorney General of Pakistan, the bench showed resentment as saying we were left with no option but to call federal defence and interior secretaries because the court orders were not being implemented.
The court directed both secretaries to appear in person before the court on next hearing (Wednesday).
Basra Bugti, whose brother was missing, recorded his statement accusing Frontier Corps (FC) for illegally detaining his brother.
Advocate General Balochistan Amanullah Kanrani presented report on missing persons, however no missing person was produced before the court.
Rejecting the report, the bench observed that the nominated ISI sector in-charge in the missing person case namely Ashgar Bangulzai should be presented before the court.
Giving details, home secretary told the court that 108 cases of violence took place during the past six months in Balochistan in which 176 people were killed while 213 were wounded. Among dead, 46 belonged to members of Hazara community, 33 FC, 41 policemen, 6 scholars and 16 settlers.
Home Secretary said the number of decomposed bodies had been increased as their number had gone up to 426 from 381. He maintained that as many as 148 incidents of kidnapping for ransom were reported from parts of the province. Of them over 100, were recovered by law enforcement agencies besides arresting 187 accused involved in such incidents.
Chief Justice observed that state of affairs in Balochistan were deteriorating instead of improving and asked if ISI, MI and IB officials did not share intelligence with police and other law enforcement agencies.
Upon which CCPO Quetta Mir Zubair Advocate apprised the court that there was intelligence sharing among all agencies and they were taking steps for the improvement of law and order.
The court also expressed displeasure over the report of the murder of Hakmal Raisani, nephew of Balochistan Chief Minister Nawab Muhammad Aslam Raisani.
“If the entire practice of the law enforcement agencies did not find any clue to the killer of Hakmal then all investigation is useless,” the court remarked.
President Balochistan High Court Bar Association Zahoor Ahmed Shahwani Advocate, who was assisting the bench, said over 70 arms shops were running in the provincial capital which indicated an alarming situation.
Chief Justice remarked that on one hand the courts were issuing orders for taking action against illegal arms while on the other hand more shops of arms were being opened.
The court ordered the provincial government to verify arms licence through Nadra and confiscate the illegal ones.