ISLAMABAD - The Higher Education Commission (HEC) is planning to award 600 Masters leading to PhD scholarships for the natives of Balochistan province.
Accordingly to the details, 400 indigenous and 200 overseas scholarships for Masters/MS leading to PhD studies would be awarded to the natives of the province. Balochistan comprises 30 districts and each district would get its share of foreign and Indigenous scholarships on the basis of its population. Furthermore, 25 per cent scholarships have been reserved for in-service government, R&D organizations/faculty members and employees of universities, colleges/degree awarding Institutes and remaining 75 per cent will be awarded on open merit.
The interesting feature of this scholarship program is its eligibility criteria which will directly target the inhabitants of Balochistan as the candidate must have studied/obtained at least two certificates/degrees from HEC recognized universities/DAIs located in Balochistan province. Furthermore, preference would be given to the disciplines mostly related to the economic and social needs of the Balochistan province - mining, petroleum, marine & fisheries and agriculture.
The scholars after completing their PhD degrees would be required to serve at Balochistan for at least five years so that educational institutions and industry of Balochistan may get maximum benefits from their knowledge and expertise. The project would be advertised soon in leading newspapers of the country.