RE As many as 21 candidates including PML-N president Mian Shahbaz Sharif and his son Hamza Shahbaz have withdrawn their nomination papers from different constituencies of the province on Monday, the last day of withdrawal.
'N' President Shahbaz withdrew his nomination papers from PP-141 and PP-154 while Provincial Excise and Taxation Minister Mujtaba Shuja-ur-Rehman would contest by-elections from PP-141.
All the PML-N members who submitted their nomination papers for NA-123 as covering candidates withdrew their nomination papers. PPP had already announced that none of their party member would contest the by-elections from Lahore.
Others who withdrew their nomination papers from NA-123 were Waheed Alam Khan, Hamza Shahbaz Sharif, Mujtaba Shuja-ur-Rehman, Cap Safdar, Rehman Aziz, Aziz-ur-Rehman Chan, Zikria Butt, Aslam Gara of PPP, Zaeem Hassan Qadri, Noor Elahi, Imranullah Khan, Maj Amjad Ali Mirza, Ch Ahsanullah, Haji Malik Muhammad Waheed, Muhammad Nadeem Chaudhry and Haji Muhammad Ahmad etc.
PML-N Chief Mian Nawaz Sharif would contest by-elections from NA-123 as six candidates are contesting elections against him.
These six contestants are Ch Ilyas Gujjar, Qazi Kamran Ahmad Gujjar, Muhammad Sajid Latif, Noor Elahi, Dr Ambar Shahzada and Babu Ashar Jahangir.
Lawyers demand KBD construction
The city lawyers Monday continued token boycott of the courts and held camps to protest the November 3 PCO and pressed the demand for reinstatement of the judges deposed as a result of the same.
At the Lahore High Court Bar compound, lawyers set up a hunger strike camp in addition to a protest camp by the Save Judiciary Committee where chairman of the committee Abdul Rashid Qureshi, Mian Jamil Akhtar, Sardar Muhammad Aslam Sukhara, Dr Ayub Goraya, Zaman Khan, Malik Hamid Sarfraz, Imtiaz Rashid Qureshi, Sajid Mahmood, N A Butt, Jalil Ahmad Othi, Sardar Abdul Hamid Dogar and Yawar Malik among others chanted slogans for the restoration of judges and release of Pakistan's nuclear scientist Dr Abdul Qadeeer Khan and construction of the Kalabagh Dam. Speaking on the occasion Qureshi laid stress on the construction Kalabagh Dam which Federal Minister Raja Pervez Ashraf has recently shelved for good. He said Z A Bhutto's government had announced to construct the dam but the same had been abandoned by the government of his own party.
He said billions of rupees had been spent on the project and the international experts had declared the same a feasible and a cost effective plan for generating power and irrigating the crops, therefore it cannot be given up on the will and choice of an individual.