QUETTA - Chief Secretary Balochistan Babar Yaqoob handed over a cheque of Rs 1 million to the widow of slain Khuzdar journalist Abdul Haq Baloch here on Saturday.
Prime minister while taking notice of the incident had directed the officials concerned to arrest the culprits and announced Rs 1 million compensation for the bereaved family.
Chief secretary, after handing over the cheque at Civil Secretariat, commended journalist fraternity for their devotion in discharging professional duties amid serious threats and tough situation and vowed to continue supporting media persons.
He said efforts were underway to ensure peace in the province and provide protection to journalists.
Babar said that widow of the slain journalist would be given job so that she could manage her livings independently and added that children of the slain journalist would also be provided support in completing their education.
More than 18 journalists fell prey to target killings during 2008. In 2007, only one journalist was killed and another wounded but after 2008 the target killings of journalists increased alarmingly in Balochistan.
District Khuzdar was the deadliest for journalists where five journalists were killed and among those were president of Khuzdar Press Club (KPC) and a general secretary. Two sons of President KPC, Nadeem Gorgnari, were also among dead last year in Khuzdar.