QUETTA - Cable Operators’ Association President Babrak Khan said on Sunday cable service had been suspended in 14 districts of Balochistan after receiving threats from armed groups and security forces.
Babrak told a press conference here that 80 per cent people affiliated with cable business belonged to poor families and had been providing service at affordable costs. He said some political parties, armed groups and security forces were pressuring them due to which they had to suspend the service. “Cable operators have nothing to do with broadcast of any news, but we are being threatened instead of the issue being taken up with news channels,” he added.
Babrak said after threats from an organization, cable service was suspended in 14 districts of Balochistan, adding that an organisation introducing itself as Lashkar-e-Baka-e-Pakistan and security forces pressuring the cable operators to restore channels.
He said they had no affiliation with any party or group they were only running their business, but they way they were being treated was not justifiable. He demanded the chief justice of Pakistan and the government to take steps to resolve the issue.
He said if these threats were not stopped, then the cable operators would be compelled to suspend service throughout the province.