In his brief address to the Sindh Assembly on Thursday, the chief executive of the province in clear words said that government was taking seriously to the Abbas Town blast which claimed 50 lives as investigation into the incident is under process. Responding to the growing criticism by the Supreme Court and opposition MQM, the CM without naming anyone urged the critics to be patient as only eight to ten days are left in dissolution of the assemblies and government.
It may be noted that Supreme Court bench led by Chief Justice of Pakistan Justice Iftikhar Muhammad Chaudhry, in suo moto hearing in Abbas Town blast, on Wednesday ordered for removal of IG and DIG Sindh police over their negligence and held Sindh government responsible for the incident.
Referring the apex court’s order, the chief minister said that the IGP Sindh wanted to present a report in the court but he was not heard by the court and it gave verdict without hearing the government and IGP. He announced to go for appeal against the order. Qaim said that government wavery much alive about the incident as investigation was in process.
Terming the baseless and a bunch of lie of a report of an anchorperson on a private news channel who claimed that no one from Sindh government and police were present at the site of Abbas Town blast, CM said he heard the news of bomb blast at 7:20pm when he was holding a meeting with some members. He immediately sought report from the IGP, besides DIG reached the spot within 40 minutes. Referring the explanation sought by the Supreme Court, the chief executive of the province declared that he is only answerable to the God, to the people of Sindh and to this august house and not any other.
He said that he had regard for the Supreme Court and all judiciary but it had to hear the Sindh government’s version before giving the verdict.
“The requirement of justice was not fulfilled by the Supreme Court,” he added. He asked whether the Supreme Court made mind to punish the government without hearing the government.
Criticising a section of media, he said that media was airing report that PM, CM and all Sindh government officials and police force were present at the engagement ceremony of Sharmila Farooqui during the blast at Abbas Town. He said that 200 cops were deployed for the VIPs security while regular police force was deputed on law and order in City. Qaim said that he himself wanted to visit the area but people were in anger, even police was not allowed to reach the spot of blast at Abbas town, adding that an Inspector of the Police was killed in the area, while DSP was beaten.
Three policemen were killed and three rangers personnel were injured after the blast, CM said, adding that our people are sensitive and intolerant.
Rejecting the demand of resignation of the government, he said that no one reacted in violence neither President nor Mayor of New York resigned even after the occurrence of 9/11 attacks in the United States where around 5,000 people were killed.
But during the hearing of suo moto case, the Sindh government was asked to leave immediately, Shah reacted in exclaim.
Qaim said that at least 150 people were killed in bomb blast in Peshawar but no one reacted and created obstacle in reaching the police to the blast site.
He disclosed that some culprits have been apprehended in Abbas Town blast, who confessed the crime. Refusing to disclose further details, he said that if he talked more, the arrested might manage their release.
Without naming Supreme Court and MQM, he urged to be patient as only 10 days are left in the dissolution of assemblies and government. He said that people were the best judge who would give their decision about the performance of the Sindh government in elections.
About excessive electricity bills of Wapda, the CM said that Wapda had been sending excessive bills as he raised this issue in the CCI meeting.
He further said that Wapda demanded over Rs21 billion till 2010 in terms of electricity bills but after reconciliation it has been reduced to Rs3.9 billion on the government departments.
CM said that Wapda was habitual of sending the electricity bills without meter use; even they cut the electricity connections of whole areas of villages if two meters failed in paying the bills.
Earlier, MQM’s Amir Moin Pirzada on point of order said that government officers had yet not started the compilation of the details of losses and people killed in the Abbas Town blast for speedy process of payment of compensation.
Replying to the point of MQM lawmaker, Sindh Information Minister Sharjeel Memon said that a committee comprising of officers and two representatives of the victims’ families had been formed for payment of compensation to those killed in the Abbas Town blast.
The MQM lawmakers surprisingly did not stage protest in the House on Thursday.