The work on searching MQM chief Altaf Hussain’s business address was continuing for a period of two days. The office was raided on Thursday and a comprehensive search was completed by Friday evening, senior police officer Jonathan confirmed, while talking to the BBC over telephone.
The officer, however, did not give details about any evidence recovered from the office, saying that an investigation was still in progress.
Jonathan also informed the broadcasting corporation that several people were interrogated, but no one was taken into custody.
Nevertheless, a spokesperson for MQM’s London office, Mustafa Azizabadi, showed complete ignorance of the raid. “There’s no such thing,” he said to a query about the police’s raiding Altaf Hussain’s business address.
“Since yesterday (Friday), newspapers are airing this news, although there is no such thing,” he claimed. In September, a Metropolitan Police anti-terrorism team said that a few months before being slain Dr Imran Farooq had been trying to develop his independent political profile.
It said that “maybe Farooq had been thinking of relaunching his political career afresh”. For this reason, police want to talk to every person who might be in contact with him.
It is in the knowledge of the police that Dr Farooq created a new Facebook profile in 2010 and made several new contacts. On his second death anniversary, the police had made another appeal to people to bring forward any information they had about his assassination.
The police believe Dr Farooq’s murder to be a thought-out conspiracy, for which outside assistance was sought and that these outsiders had deliberately abetted in the high-profile assassination.