KABUL - Six US fighter jets were destroyed and two significantly damaged when insurgents stormed a heavily fortified Afghan base where Britain’s Prince Harry is deployed on Friday, a Nato spokesman said.Lieutenant Colonel Hagen Messer conceded that the scale of damage, carried out by more than a dozen attackers dressed in US Army uniforms and armed with guns, rockets and suicide vests who managed to storm the airfield, was unprecedented.Three coalition refuelling stations were also destroyed and six aircraft hangars damaged in the assault at Camp Bastion in southern Helmand province, the US-led Nato force said. In a statement, it said the attack was ‘well-coordinated’ and carried out by around 15 insurgents, who were organised into three teams and who penetrated the perimeter fence.“The insurgents appeared to be well-equipped, trained and rehearsed,” targeting fighter jets and helicopters parked next to the runway, the International Security Assistance Force (Isaf) said in the statement released nearly 36 hours after the assault began.Meanwhile, eight women were killed and eight women wounded in a Nato airstrike shortly before dawn on Sunday in a remote area east of Kabul while four Nato soldiers were shot dead by suspected Afghan police, Afghan officials said. Nato’s US-led International Security Assistance Force said it had targeted insurgents, but had been made aware of “possible Isaf-caused civilian casualties” numbering five to eight, and extended its sincerest condolences over the “tragic loss of life”.Sunday’s attack came shortly before dawn, an Afghan official said, in the area of Dilaram village, in Alingar district of Laghman province. The women were said to have set off to the mountains to collect fire wood.Sarhadi Zwak, a provincial spokesman, said it was a unilateral military operation not coordinated with Afghan forces.Separately, four Nato soldiers were shot dead Sunday in the second such attack by suspected Afghan police in 24 hours.The shooting took place in Zabul province, when Nato forces scrambled to a police checkpoint. The four Nato soldiers who were killed Sunday were Americans, a US official confirmed seeking anonymity without giving any further details.The US-led ISAF said the incident was “suspected to involve members of the Afghan police”. Spokesman Lt-Col Hagen Messers said it was still unclear whether the attacker “was an individual wearing a police uniform or definitely a policeman”.