KANDAHAR - Eleven Taliban attackers struck two Afghan and Nato bases in Kandahar province on Tuesday, while a Nato soldier was also killed in the troubled south, officials said.
Nato’s US-led International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said the attackers breached the outer perimeter of the base but no coalition soldiers were killed.
But Faisal and provincial police chief General Abdul Raziq said a foreigner had been killed and two wounded, with Faisal describing the fatality as a civilian contractor. Their nationalities were unclear.
Hours later, four gunmen wearing police uniforms struck a police and Nato base in Kandahar city, triggering a firefight in which four officers and the attackers were killed, Raziq said.
Nine police were wounded, he said.
Police witnesses said the attackers all had the uniform and equipment of regular officers, and were led into the base by a police captain who fled afterwards. Two other officers were arrested over the assault.
ISAF said one of its soldiers died following another insurgent attack in southern Afghanistan on Tuesday, but did not give details of the incident or its location.
Meanwhile, a Taliban roadside bombing killed eight civilians, including women and children, in the Afghan province of Helmand, the government said Tuesday.
The blast on Monday in Musa Qala, a Taliban-infested district in the southern province also injured five others travelling through the insurgency-hit region, the interior ministry said.
“Eight of our innocent civilian countrymen are dead and five others are injured in a mine planted by the enemies of Afghanistan,” it said in a statement, referring to the Taliban.