QUETTA – The ongoing strike of doctors against Dr Saeed Khan’s kidnapping entered the 9th consecutive day on Thursday. The eye specialist was kidnapped by armed men on October 16 when he was heading towards his home in Sariab area.
The ongoing strike is posing immense difficulties for the poor patients, as over 90 per cent of the population visits the government hospitals for medical aid. “The government should take steps for the recovery of the kidnapped doctor, besides making doctors responsible to provide treatment to patients regularly as leaving the poor patients in lurch in the name of strike is inhumane,” said Younas Khan who visited the Civil Hospital for his brother’s treatment.
Saeed’s family sources said the kidnappers were demanding a huge ransom for releasing the doctor. However, they denied disclosing the actual amount of ransom. The law enforcement agencies seem to be clueless about the kidnappers so far.
The Balochistan High Court has also taken notice of the kidnapping and directed the authorities concerned for taking concrete steps to ensure recovery of the doctor. PMA spokesman Dr Aftab regretted that over 12 doctors including PMA chairman Mazar Khan Baloch have been killed in Balochistan during the last four years. He said that previously 13 doctors were kidnapped, and most of them were released after the ransom amount was paid to the kidnappers. He regretted the government could do nothing to get released any kidnapped doctor and at the same, failed to arrest the kidnappers.