KABUL - At least 10 policemen were killed and 18 others, mostly civilians, were wounded in a suicide attack Saturday in a crowded area of the northeast Afghan city of Kunduz, provincial authorities said.
Thirteen civilians and five policemen were wounded in the blast, Hussani said, adding that the final death toll may rise. The attack was “the work of the enemies of Afghanistan”, he said, using a phrase common among Afghan officials to describe Taliban insurgents.
AFP could not immediately reach the Taliban for comment on the attack, which has so far not been claimed by any group.
Afghanistan’s interior ministry and the provincial governor spokesman Enayatullah Khaleeq confirmed the toll.
According to the head of the Kunduz health department, Saad Mukhtar, 19 people in total were wounded in the attack, which police officials said took place around 5:20 pm (12:50 GMT).
Such attacks have in the past been blamed on Taliban insurgents who are leading an 11-year insurgency against the US-backed government of President Hamid Karzai.
Taliban militants have stepped up their fight against Afghan troops as the country’s forces are increasingly taking over security responsibility from US-led Nato troops.