MABAD (Agencies) - A retired army major said Saturday he had been cleared of any wrongdoing after Pakistani intelligence released him from custody in connection with the attempted car bombing in New Yorks Times Square, reports ABC News TV channel.
Adnan Ahmad and his brother were among at least 11 people that Pakistani security forces have rounded up since the failed May 1 attack. Two other suspects face allegations of involvement in the plot, but no one in Pakistan has been charged.
Pak Army spokesman Maj-Gen Athar Abbas confirmed for the first time Saturday that Maj Adnan Ahmad was dismissed from the military because he had ties to banned organisations, but he would not elaborate.
The main suspect in the car bomb case, Pakistani-American Faisal Shahzad, is being held by US authorities. Shahzad is the son of a former Pakistani air force officer.
Maj Adnan was let go on Friday upon orders from higher-ups, an intelligence official confirmed on condition of anonymity because he was not authorised to speak on the record.
He would not give any details about the mans detention or what information it yielded.
Reached at a Rawalpindi residence via phone Saturday, Maj Adnan Ahmad told an American news agency that he was fine and that he expected his brother to be released shortly. It was confusion. I am now back with my family, the former major said. It is a proof that it was just a misunderstanding. They have cleared me. He declined to discuss anything about his detention or his ties to Shahzad. Intelligence officials have said he was linked to people who knew Shahzad.
Maj Adnan also would not discuss the circumstances surrounding his departure from the army or exactly when it happened.
Intelligence officials have said he bought his way out in the last two months because of a disagreement with the armys policies.
But the chief military spokesman Athar Abbas was quoted as saying that Maj Adnan was forced out.
He was dismissed from service for his links with proscribed organisations, the spokesman said.