SACHSENRING - Defending champion Casey Stoner will start Sunday’s German motorcycling Grand Prix on pole position after topping Saturday’s wet qualifying session at the Sachsenring.
Stoner’s Honda team-mate Dani Pedrosa was third — 0.285 off the pace.
Stoner has three victories to his name through seven races of this year’s World Championship and is level with Yamaha’s Jorge Lorenzo on 140 points at the summit of the riders’ standings.
Stoner, who is retiring at the end of this season, later revealed that he had claimed his fourth pole of the season on a spare bike.
“I was a little bit nervous going out there for the last 10 minutes because I didn’t have the best set-up,” he reported.
Lorenzo qualified fifth and will start on the second row of the grid flanked by Britain’s Cal Crutchlow and home favourite Stefan Bradl.
1. Casey Stoner (AUS/Honda) 1:31.796
2. Ben Spies (USA/Yamaha) at 0.193
3. Dani Pedrosa (ESP/Honda) 0.285
4. Cal Crutchlow (GBR/Yamaha) 0.492
5. Jorge Lorenzo (ESP/Yamaha) 0.585
6. Stefan Bradl (GER/Honda) 0.714
7. Nicky Hayden (USA/Ducati) 0.999
8. Andrea Dovizioso (ITA/Yamaha) 1.409
9. Valentino Rossi (ITA/Ducati) 1.421
10. Aleix Espargaro (ESP/Aprilia) 2.104
11. Alvaro Bautista (ESP/Honda) 2.292
12. Hector Barbera (ESP/Ducati) 2.746
13. Colin Edwards (USA/Suter-BMW) 2.853
14. Randy de Puniet (FRA/Aprilia) 2.855
15. Mattia Pasini (ITA/Aprilia) 3.142