ISLAMABAD - A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between Capital Development Authority (CDA) and Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) to construct an international standard 50,000 sitting capacity cricket stadium in the capital city. The PCB and CDA had reached an agreement in this regard and CDA had provided 35 acres piece of land unconditionally to the cricket board. PCB chairman Chaudhry Zaka Ashraf promised to construct a state of the art stadium in capital in one-year time which would be the biggest stadium in country.
An MOU signing ceremony was held in Islamabad on Monday in which PCB chief Zaka, PCB COO Subhan Ahmed, Governing Body member Shakil Sheikh, CDA chairman Farkhand Iqbal, Islamabad Task Force chairman Faisal Saki Butt and other high officials were present. Talking to media persons after the ceremony, PCB chairman said: “There was an urgent need of constructing an international standard cricket ground in the federal capital since long and the proposed plan was in doldrums for the last four years. President Asif Ali Zardari, who is also the Patron-in-Chief of PCB, played a key role in resolving the issue and we are really grateful to him for showing personal interest and finally allotting us a piece of land in capital.”
Zaka said the stadium would be constructed in one-year time frame, and with the income from international matches and sponsorships, 30 percent would be given to CDA while the remaining 70 percent would go to the PCB account. “All the expenses of constructing the stadium would be bored by the board getting land for construction of two international grounds in only six months time is by all means a great achievement of the board. A cricket academy will also be inaugurated in capital where boys from Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Fata, AJK and Islamabad will get a lot benefit.”
Commenting on Bangladesh teams’ refusal to tour Pakistan, he said all the arrangements were made in this regard but it was a big setback. “It is now past, we are in talks with other international teams in this regard and during the recent ICC meeting, India showed sign of improvement as far as revival of Pak-India cricket ties are concerned. We will not disclose the names of countries at this stage as the hidden hands that sabotage the Bangladesh team tour will once again ruin our plans but we would disclose the facts at suitable time.”
Talking to the media, Farkhand and Faisal said: “The stadium will add to the beauty of the capital and the residents will be provided excellent facilities to witness their heroes performing in front of them. The new stadium will be a milestone for the promotion of cricket and we will make Islamabad a hub of sporting activities and allocate lands to different federations in this regard as well.”