ISLAMABAD - Pakistan squash head coach Jamshed Gul Sunday said that the players training camp for the prestigious World Open Championship to be held at Manchester, UK from October 26 was shifted to Peshawar.
Jamshed and players have not taken rest even on Sunday as they continued training at Hashim Khan Squash Complex.
Talking to The Nation, Jamshed said: “I don’t want to spoil all the work done of the players by taking Eid days off. We will start training again as few days are left in the event. In fact, these days are very significant for the players like Farhan Mehboob and Nasir Iqbal because if they stop their training, they will eventually lose their stamina. They have overcome their minor mistakes during the last two weeks so we are not ready to spoil all this.”
Jamshed said he would give both the players 80 percent fitness and training marks and he was quite satisfied with their extraordinary preparations. “They have shown a lot of commitment and desire to excel. Especially Farhan is a completely different player now because he has overcome his mistakes and looks a cool and calm player while playing against his opponents. I advise Farhan that if he wants to climb back to the PSA top rankings, he has to concentrate on his behavior because his short temper is major flaw of his downfall and players take full advantage of it which costs Farhan dearl,” the coach added.
“Ever since, I have emphasised on the players’ attitude, their mental and physical training and tried to change their playing style, they have started producing better results and I hope they can deliver and beat top professionals in great style. Only thing that troubles them is their mental toughness but now with the help of hard training, they have got rid of this issue almost 80 percent and I will remove the remaining 20 percent within short time,” he asserted.
“The federation is providing the best possible assistance to not only coaches but also to the players in form of excellent diet which is very helpful in changing their attitudes. The PSF has proved its words and assured the players its all-out support by asking them to just concentrate on their game and leave other things to be handled by the federation. They have fulfilled their promise and now its players’ duty to pay back in form of winning laurels for the country,” Jamshed added.
“Razi Nawab and Aamir Nawaz have also promised to take other players on board and will especially focus on female players and try to get raw talent from farflung areas of the country. By doing so, we can get exceptional talent which will provide us a great back up to our top players,” Jamshed concluded.
Sharing their views, Nasir and Farhan said: “We are thankful to the federation for all the exceptional facilities and their all-out support. We promise we will fully focus on our game and will give our best to earn good name for the country at international level.” Nasir described himself 80 percent fit while Farhan was more cautious and described his fitness levels 60 per cent, but he said that he would gradually improve it and excel in the mega event.