At least nine people were killed and 37 injured in a militant attack at Directorate of Agricultural Training Institute (ATI) in Peshawar today morning. 

The university had remained closed today as the country celebrates Eid Miladun Nabi (pbuh) while a large number of students were present in the hostel building.

The injured have all been admitted to Khyber Teaching Hospital where an emergency has been imposed.

According to Hayatabad Medical Complex Director Shahzad Akbar said six dead and 18 injured were brought to the hospital. While, sources in Khyber Teaching Hospital said they had received three bodies and 17 wounded.

Among the inured are: there are seven students, 2 Frontier Corps (FC) personnel, one police officer, a guard, and a journalist.

According to Inter Services Public Relations (ISPR), four armed militants, who entered the hostel building in rickshaw and opened fire at the guard, have been killed by security forces. 

In a statement ISPR stated that the area has been cleared, while 7 students have been killed. DG ISPR Major General Asif Ghafoor also said, “Peace has been restored in the country. As compared to 2008, the conditions have improved drastically.”  

Regarding Afghanistan forces he said, “Afghan forces are not as experienced as Pakistan forces. We are supporting Afghanistan as much as possible and sharing intelligence reports. Afghan refugees should return to their country now. ”

In conclusion he said, “No Muslim will would carry out an attack on such a day, referring to 12 Rabi ul Awal. Terrorists have no links with Islam.”

According to unconfirmed reports the attack was claimed by the Tehreek-i-Taliban Pakistan.

Peshawar Capital City Police Officer Tahir Khan and SSP Operations Sajjad Khan were leading the operation.

While speaking to media SSP Operations Sajjad Khan said, “The attackers wearing suicide jackets under the burqas reached the compound in a rickshaw. Their first target was the security guard, after which they headed inside towards the students' hostel of the Agriculture Training Institute. They could have done a lot more damage but the police and army successfully neutralised the threat.”

Khyber Pakhtunkhwa IG Salahuddin Khan Mehsud while speaking to media said, “As luck would have it, not many students were present due to the long weekend. Police APCs evacuated around a dozen students from the hostel.”

During the combing operation, security personnel recovered suicide jackets, two Klashnikovs, pistols, and explosives from bodies of terrorists.

The area has been surveyed by military helicopters and a clearance operation was underway.

University Road, where the attack took place, had closed off to traffic.

Prime Minister of Pakistan Shahid Khaqan Abbasi has condemned the attack. He praised the forces for spontaneous response.

Pakistan Tehreek e Insaf Chairman Imran Khan as tweeted saying, “Saddened by condemnable terrorist attack in Peshawar this morning. My prayers to to the victims and their families. Commend the rapid response of KP police and army that helped in containing damage and concluding the operation.”

The reformed professional KP police force with its special rapid response unit has made a difference in dealing with acts of terrorism in a timely, holistic and coordinated manner."

An eye witness while speaking to media said, “We woke up due to heavy firing at 8:15am on the main gate. There were a large number of people staying in the hostel as it was long weekend.”

Another eyewitness a student said, he and his classmates ran as fast as they could but two were injured in the firing.”