5 die in Quetta attack on FC convoy

QUETTA - Five people including a young boy were killed while 15 others five among them personnel of Frontier Corps (FC) and a police constable sustained injuries in a remote-controlled bomb blast which occurred at Sariab Road of Quetta, on Tuesday while a cop and an ex-footballer were killed in the continuing violence in Karachi’s Lyari area.According to details, the Frontier Corps convoy which was escorting officers and their families to Quetta from Sibi was the target of attackers who planted explosives in an abandoned car parked at the roadside. As the convoy reached near WAPDA grid station, the attackers detonated the explosives that caused huge explosion. Resultantly, 5 people were killed and 15 others received injuries. The blast was so powerful that its voice was heard far and wide in the area.Soon after the blast, Edhi ambulances rushed to the site and started moving the dead and injured to the hospital. A heavy contingent of police and FC was also rushed to the blast site after the incident.Four rickshaws were completely damaged after catching fire while three FC vehicles and two cars were partially damaged in the blast.‘FC convoy comprised few vehicles and a truck which was attacked at Sariab Road’, SHO Sariab Abdul Qayyum said ,adding, that he was unaware of damages on the part of Frontier Corps, however, he was informed that some personnel also got injured in the attack who had already been shifted by forces to CMH.Two of the dead were identified as Muhammad Khalid Bangulzai an employee of University of Balochistan and a teenager student of class 8th Abdul Waheed. The other injured were named as Karim, Muhammad Raza, Ibrar Hussain, Ameenullah, Zar Wali, Muhammad Ali, Gul Mir, Muhammad Akram, Muhammad Rafiq, Noor Mohammad and Mumtaz.‘The explosives were detonated through a remote controlled device and more than 10-KG explosives had been used in the explosion’, officials of Bomb Disposal Squad said.Frontier Corps spokesman denied that any of FC soldiers was killed, however, confirmed that five FC soldiers were among the injured. He said that they all received minor injuries and were out of danger. They were identified as Karam Elahi, Noor Muhammad, Anwar Khan,Sher Bahadur and injured include three FC men a police man and 11 others.Meanwhile, the gun-battle between the gangsters and police entered the fifth consecutive day where gangsters, who are poised to take position at high-rise buildings, have established a hospital and started ambulance service for final showdown. One of the inhabitants on a condition of anonymity informed that the gangsters are running their own ambulance service and hospital to facilitate their accomplices. He said the gangsters have also evacuated the homes with multi-storey buildings to take positions especially in Afshani Gali and Cheel Chowk.DSP Nasir Lodhi said that Cheel Chowk and Afshani Gali areas have been echoing with heavy gunshots since late Monday. He said the police have evolved its strategy to encounter with the gangsters. At present, the personnel of zone south, CID and Rapid force were engaged in Lyari operation but more force can be called in, if necessary, he maintained.He also claimed to have killed a notorious gangster namely Tariq Siyah Paat at Afshani Gali during operation. The Sindh government had announced Rs 0.5 million bounty for his arrest.Sindh Home Ministry late Tuesday also announced head money for wanted criminals including Aziz Jan Baluch and Baba Ladla. The Ministry announced Rs.3 million head bounty for Baba Ladla, Rs.2 million for Aziz Jan and Rs.2.5 million for Zaman Mehsud of Tehreek-e-Taliban Pakistan..He said, the Ministry also announced Rs.2 million head bounty for Khair Muhammad Mehsud, Rs.1.5 million for Rashid Rekha and Rs.1 million head money for Ibrahim Kachhi. The police sources said the gun-battles between the gangsters and police intensified when the police commandos started marching towards Gul Muhammad Lane and Sukhi Lane for establishing police check-post early Tuesday.Reacting on the said move, the gangsters fired five rockets simultaneously at Cheel Chowk, killing a police constable Muhammad Tufail.  The victim, who was hit by one of the rocket at his neck, was rapid force personnel. The gangsters had also hurled hand grenades at a hotel located in the limits of Napier police station, leaving 10 more persons injured. In Kalakot police remits, former international footballer namely Javed Jan was killed at Gabool Park area. The deceased, who represented Pakistani team internationally, received stray bullet when he was going somewhere. In another incident, an official of Airport Security Force (ASF) namely Aziz Baloch sustained bullet wound in same area. Another man namely Hassan Muhammad son of Noor Elahi got bullet injuries at Bihar colony area. Police sources said the gangsters have so far fired some 18 rockets and several hand grenades in different parts of Lyari to avert the police march towards gangsters dominant areas.The CID team headed by SP Chaudhry Aslam claimed to have seized dens, which was owned by Taj Muhammad Taju. They said the team during search had recovered BLA’s anti-State literatures from the den. The sources said SP Aslam during high-level meeting at CPO office on late Monday disclosed the said information. Moreover, they said that SP Aslam has strongly urged the authorities to initiate strict monitoring at Hub-Sakran border to get control of the gangsters. Resultantly, six policemen have so far been martyred and over a dozen got injuries in armed resistance of the gangsters against the operation during last several days. The sources said that the gangsters are being supported by BLA and getting all logistics including weapons from Hub-Sakran border. Police switched off the mobile phone service in Lyari and restricted ambulance service to damage communication network of the gangsters while gangsters have alternate resources including walky-talkies with radio technology and also generators of electricity.

ePaper - Nawaiwaqt