LAHORE A 45-year-old patient died due to alleged negligence by a traffic warden deputed at Neela Gumbad Chowk on Thursday evening. The deceased was later identified as Falak Sher, a resident of Kadar Gharbi, Tehsil Phalia, Mandi Bahauddin. Chief Traffic Officer SSP Syed Ahmed Mobin has suspended the warden and directed the SP Traffic Headquarters to initiate a regular departmental inquiry against the warden concerned. According to details, a traffic officer namely Muhammad Asif (Okara-2816) was discharging his duties near Anarkali Chowk when he intercepted a black Corolla (LED-7856) at about 6:20pm. The car carrying five persons violated a traffic signal near National College of Arts. The warden chased the car, who managed to intercept them at Anarkali Chowk. An eyewitness said that about five persons including two women and three men (one patient) were sitting in the car. He said the warden issued them a challan and let them go due to their emergency. After passage of 25 minutes, one of my colleagues approached me and informed a few persons in a black car were searching me as their patient had died due to my negligence, as per their claim, the warden told the reporters on the spot. According to several eyewitnesses, a few men gathered on the spot, captured the warden and victimised him of severe torture. In the meantime, DSP Racecourse Safdar Raza Kazmi reached the spot and managed to rescue the warden. The people gathered on the site blocked The Mall and chanted slogans against the traffic police. The old traffic system and old police officers were nice in their behaviours. They always honoured at such critical situation, a 35-year-old beard man said on the site. The deceaseds family asked me to let them go as their patient Falak Sher was suffering from serious illness as a result of which I issued them a ticket (47) and received fine Rs 300 on the spot, the warden Asif told this during an initial inquiry conducted by the CTO himself along with SP Civil Lines Malik Omer Saeed, SP Traffic Headquarter Muhammad Marouf Wahla and the officers concerned in CCPO Office on late Thursday night. According to Asif, the man possibly died at about 6:45pm in any hospital or minimum outside his jurisdictions. Talking to this scribe, the CTO said he had thoroughly talked to one Zafar Iqbal, a cousin of the deceased, who has partially endorsed the statements given by the warden. I have also talked to the Deputy Medical Superintendent of Mayo Hospital who claimed no one with the name Falak Sher died in his hospital on Thursday, he added. The CTO further said according to his personal opinion it seemed the person died elsewhere after the family had left the site but nothing could be established at this state of inquiry. He said if the heirs urge for further legal action, then the traffic police would definitely initiate action against him in the light of facts and figures. The warden was given into the custody of police till further action.