ISLAMABAD – The President House and the Pakistan Army spokesmen on Saturday denied any contact between President Asif Ali Zardari and Chief of Army Staff General Ashfaq Parvez Kayani on the night between May 1 and 2, 2011, when US aircraft violated Pakistani airspace, killing Osama bin Laden in Abbottabad.
Manzoor Ejaz, the central character in the memogate, during his testimony claimed that President Zardari through a phone call on that night informed General Kayani that the operation had been conducted with his approval.
Presidential Spokesman Farhatullah Babar dismissed the reports as untrue and baseless. Similarly, a spokesman of ISPR said there was no telephonic conversation between the president and the COAS on the night between May 1 and 2, 2011. The spokesman further said the military leadership had briefed the joint session of the Parliament as well as the Abbottabad Commission on the subject and there was nothing more to add to it.