LAHORE - Yet another leading businessman of the provincial capital has returned home after paying rupees three million ransom and spending three weeks in captivity, police sources revealed here on Wednesday. Ironically, the Lahore Police have adopted a unique Standard Operating Procedure (SOP) to deal with the cases of kidnapping for ransom according to which the victims family has been asked to pay the ransom amount to the abductors first to ensure safe release of the victim. The police begin investigations once the victim reaches home safely, thanks to the Punjab Chief Minister Shahbaz Sharif for appointing so 'intelligent cops as Heads of the police department. Three armed culprits had kidnapped Zafar Farooq from his Canal View Housing Society residence and took him to an unknown location in early October. The gangsters demanded Rs 10 million as ransom for his safe release by contacting the victim family from the cellular phone of the abductee. Police sources revealed that three men disguised as buyers reached the residence of Zafar Farooq, day after he had got published an advertisement in the press for the sale of his car. The men showed interest in purchasing the car and asked the owner for a test drive. One of them started driving the car while Zafar Farooq also got into the vehicle. Few minutes later, they took out guns, held him hostage and blindfolded the 50-year-old man, threatening him of dire consequences. The kidnappers took him to an unknown location, where they locked him inside a room after tying his hands and feet with a rope. The abductors later contacted Ahmed Farooq, son of the victim, and demanded Rs 10 million as ransom for his safe release. The victim family held a series of negotiations with the abductors and managed to convince them that they would pay Rs 3 million as ransom and would never disclose the happening to the police. The kidnappers held Zafar Farooq hostage at gunpoint for three weeks. By the end of October, he was released after his son paid Rs 3 million as ransom to the gangsters as per their demand at some unknown location. The Hanjarwal police have registered the case and are investigating with no arrest or any clue in this regard so far. When contacted, DSP Tariq Ilyas, incharge Anti-Kidnapping for Ransom Squad, confirmed that the victim had come back home after paying the ransom. Ironically, countrys leading businessman Dr Arshad owner of Hi-tech, Pakistans largest poultry feed producing company, had also been kidnapped few months ago and he came back after paying Rs 80 million as ransom. He had spent 20 days in captivity. The police investigators are still clueless about the abduction of Malik Aamir, a close relative of ex-Chairman Joint Chiefs of Staff Committee Gen Tariq Majeed. Unidentified abductors had kidnapped him for ransom on August 25 from his Garden Town residence and the police have failed to trace his whereabouts till filing of this report. Not enough, unidentified kidnappers had gunned down DDOR Naseem Ahmed and his driver Irshad days after he was abducted for ransom months ago. Sources in the business community expressed grave concern over the worsening law and order situation in the City and said that alarming increase in kidnapping for ransom cases should be more than an eye-opener for the Chief Minister of Punjab Shahbaz Sharif. The businessmen are quite scared. The police are helpless to tackle the rising incidents of abduction for ransom, said a member of the Lahore Chamber of Commerce and Industry requesting anonymity.