NEW YORK - Egyptian Vice President Omar Suleiman has met with army leaders to discuss steps to limit President Hosni Mubaraks decision-making authority and possibly remove him from the presidential palace in order to open negotiations with opposition, The New York Times reported from Cairo Saturday. However, the American and Egyptian sources told the newspaper the plan is not to strip him of his presidency immediately. According to the plan, a transitional government headed by Suleiman would negotiate with opposition figures to amend Egypts Constitution and begin a process of democratic changes. Earlier on Saturday, protest leaders confirmed they had met with PM Ahmed Shafik to discuss ways to help Mubarak step down. One source said that one of the options was that Mubarak hand over authorities to Suleiman but stressed that the protests will carry on until the president resigns. But despite mounting global clamour for him to step down immediately, 82-year-old Mubarak, who has been in power since 1981, refused to bow to the pressure. Seeking immediate start of an orderly transition in Egypt, US President Barack Obama expressed hope that Mubarak would be able to make the right decision. In order for Egypt to have a bright future, the only thing that will work is moving an orderly transition process that begins right now that engages all parties, leads to democratic practices and fair polls and a representative govt responsive to grievances of the Egyptian people, Obama said.