Assembly asks IRSA to implement '91 Accord

KARACHI - The Sindh Assembly on Monday through a resolution demanded the Federal government to direct the Indus River System Authority (IRSA) to distribute water in accordance with 1991 Water Accord. The IRSA is scheduled to meet here on October 13 (today) to devise strategy for distribution of water for the current Rabi season. The out-of-turn resolution, tabled by PPP lawmaker Dr Sikandar Mahendaro, says, The Sindh Assembly recommends to the provincial government to approach the federal government to direct the IRSA to distribute water strictly in accordance with Water Accord of 1991 i.e. shortages (if any) shall be with reference to para 2 allocation of the accord. Shortages shall be shared on all Pakistan bases in accordance with the 10 daily statements which are part and parcel of the 1991 Water Accord. Arguing in favour of the resolution, Dr Mahendaro said that since it was important issue as the Rabi season was around-the-corner and the water distribution authority is holding its meeting on Tuesday (today) so the resolution may be passed. Speaker Nisar Ahmed Khuhro put the resolution in the house, which was adopted unanimously. The house unanimously passed another out-of-turn resolution piloted by PPP MPA Haji Munawwar Ali Abbasi which reads, this assembly resolves and recommends to the Sindh government to approach the federal government to fix the price of paddy crop at Rs700 per 40 kg instead of Rs600 per 40 kg as fixed by the federal government earlier and also advice the PASSCO to open purchase centres in adequate number to facilitate the paddy procurement process. Speaking in favour of his resolution, the MPA from Larkana said that the TCP has stopped purchase of rice leaving the growers at the mercy of exporters who are exploiting the farming community for their personal benefits. Supporting the resolution, PPP member Dr Sikandar Ali Mahendaro said that the Sindh government should intervene, as situation was serious. He said that the PASSCO was a private body in which the government owns 20 percent shares while the rest 80 percent are lie with banks that is why it is not legally bound to purchase paddy. He suggested that the Sindh government should launch SASSCO on the pattern of PASSCO and as the headquarters of almost all banks were located in Karachi therefore the provincial government should contact the banks in this regard. Leader of opposition in Sindh Assembly, Jam Madad Ali was of the opinion that the Food Department should purchase the paddy if the PASSCO was not ready to purchase it. PPP MPA Jam Tamachi said that like ginning factories, a particular community has also been monopolised the rice mills and exploiting the situation by fixing uniform rates of paddy. He called on the government to intervene in the matter and save the paddy growers from losses. He said that the government should select a country amongst the Friends of Pakistan which could purchase rice. PPP members Muhammad Nawaz Chandio, Fayyaz Bhurt, Ms Kulsoom Chandio and Dr Ahmed Ali Shah also supported the resolution. After hearing the speeches, the Chair put the resolution in the house which was passed unanimously. The house unanimously passed another resolution demanding the government to declare the birth place of Shaheed Benazir Bhutto as the national heritage. The resolution was moved by PPP MPA Dr Sikandar Ali Mahendaro says, whereas this house holds the brave struggle and the ultimate sacrifices rendered by Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto for the cause of democracy in the highest esteem and whereas it is desirable that her birth place Dr Pinto Clinic situated at plot No-331 opposite Mehre Nimrose Government School Doli Khata, Soldier Bazaar, Karachi having the value of national monument is retain in its original shape, the house recommends to the Sindh government to have the plot and the structure thereupon included in the list of buildings protected under the National Heritage Act. Sindh Ministers Ms Shazia Marri, Rafique Engineer, Ms Sasui Palejo, PPP members - - Haji Munawwar Ali Abbasi, Humera Alwani, Shamim Ara Panhwar, Shama Mithani, Bilquees Mukhtar of MQM and others supported the resolution. The chair put the resolution in the house which was carried unanimously. Sindh Law Minister Muhammad Ayaz Soomro introduced the government bill-No-12 of 2009- The Sugar Factories Control (Sindh Amendment) Bill, 2009. The law minister requested the chair to defer government bill No-11 of 2009-The Sindh Building Control (Amendment) Bill, 2009 till Oct 16. The house which was set in motion by Speaker Nisar Ahmed Khuhro at 11:20am, 70 minutes beyond the scheduled time on 10:00am, carried question answer session of the Food Department, was adjourned till Tuesday (today) morning.

ePaper - Nawaiwaqt