Gunmen strapped with explosives killed a close adviser to Afghan president Hamid Karzai and a member of parliament on Sunday in another insurgent strike against the Afghan leader's inner circle. Jan Mohammad Khan was an adviser to Karzai on tribal issues and was close to the president, a fellow Pashtun. His killing, which the Taliban claimed responsibility for, came less than a week after the assassination of Ahmed Wali Karzai, the president's half brother and one of the most powerful men in southern Afghanistan. Two men wearing suicide bomb vests and armed with guns attacked Khan's home in the western Kabul district of Karti Char, said Defence Ministry official General Zahir Wardak. Khan, who was governor of the Pashtun-dominated Uruzgan province in the south from 2002 until March 2006, was shot along with Uruzgan lawmaker Mohammed Ashim Watanwal, the official said. Police killed one of the attackers before he could detonate his explosives, while the other was still barricaded inside the home, said the head of the Kabul police investigation unit, Mohammed Zahir. A member of the police's anti-terrorism unit was also killed, he added. The surviving gunman was alone in the house, Zahir said. The assassination came as international military forces handed over security for Bamiyan province to Afghan security forces, part of a transition process in which seven areas are to be handed over to Karzai's government this month. It also came one day before General David Petraeus, the top Nato commander in Afghanistan, hands over responsibility for the military campaign in Afghanistan to his replacement, Lieutenant General John Allen. It was unclear how influential Khan was with Karzai, but he was thought to wield considerable influence in Uruzgan. Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid claimed responsibility for the attack on behalf of the Afghan Taliban group. Mujahid said the Taliban killed Khan because he was assisting coalition forces in carrying out night raids against Afghans. "He was cooperating and helping the American forces," Mujahid said in an emailed statement.