Outrage over mob assault on female Tiktoker at Minar-e-Pakistan

Asks NADRA to identify attackers, investigation team formed to probe incident | All-out efforts to provide justice to victim girl, says Buzdar

LAHORE - Four days after the shameful incident of groping of a woman at Greater Iqbal Park in Lahore, the Punjab government sprang into action to investigate the embarrassing occurrence taking place in broad daylight with the police turning a blind eye to the distress calls by the hapless victim.

On Independence Day, a woman was groped, tossed, molested, harassed, tortured and manhandled by an unruly mob at a place known for its historical importance.

The Pakistan Resolution was passed here 81 years ago.

This ugly drama continued for well over two hours, but no one came to her rescue.

The victim, a female Tiktoker, later told a news channel that she made calls at 15 twice but did not get any response from the police. Except for a security guard, there was no police presence at the park where thousands of people converge every year to mark the day.

It is hard to fathom that such a crowded place was left totally unguarded on an important day leaving the citizens at the mercy of beasts and criminals.

Ironically, the same day in the evening, Punjab Chief Minister Sardar Usman Buzdar commended the Punjab police for making excellent security arrangements for the Independence Day celebrations.

By that time, he was perhaps unaware of what had happened to the unfortunate woman whose calls for help went unheeded.

Surprisingly, for a couple of days, the police and the district administration were quite oblivious to the shocking incident. It was only after the video of the horrific happening went viral on social media that the government woke up to the happening.

Three days after the incident, the Lorry Adda police on Tuesday registered a case against 400 suspects for harassing and assaulting the woman at the Greater Iqbal Park.

An investigation team headed by a DIG is now investigating the case.

Prime Minister Imran Khan Wednesday took notice of the matter and talked to IGP police to penalize the culprits.

Condemnations by Ministers and politicians also poured in from all sides. Chief Minister Usman Buzdar directed the police to apprehend the criminals by identifying them in different videos.

In a statement, he assured that the government will go to every extent to provide justice. “It’s a most regrettable, as well as tragic incident, and the State is responsible to fulfil the requirements of justice”, he said.

Also, Capital City Police Officer Ghulam Mahmood Dogar Wednesday said that Lahore Police were tracing the suspects, around 400 in number, who assaulted the woman and her companions.

He said the suspects were being identified by videos shared on the social media. The police have sought NADRA’s help to identify them, he said.

Separately, Punjab Law Minister Raja Basharat on Wednesday deplored the incident and said that the Punjab government was investigating the matter from all angles and was in constant touch with NADRA to identify the culprits.

He said arrests will be made immediately as soon as any accused is identified.

He assured that cases would be registered immediately and prosecution would be started in the court without any delay.

Law Minister maintained that the police was doing its job satisfactorily in all respects.

“I assure you that like the motorway incident, the accused will be punished as soon as possible by taking swift legal action against them. They will be made an example for others”, he said.

Punjab Governor Chaudhry Muhammad Sarwar termed the incident of violence against the womana a heinous and reprehensible crime saying that there shall be no compromise on ensuring the protection and safety of women. “Every Pakistani must fulfill his responsibility towards the protection of women”, he said, adding, that incidents like Greater Iqbal Park should not be tolerated under any circumstances.

ePaper - Nawaiwaqt