World Day on Child Labour

The World Day against Child Labour is marked by thousands of events in scores of countries around the world with the focus on the need to improve access of children to education as the right response to child labour. The International Program for the Elimination of Child Labour (IPEC) of ILO says its latest estimates indicate that of some 218 million child labourers worldwide are denied educational opportunities that would give them a better future. To tackle child labour, the ILO is calling upon governments to provide "education for all children at least to the minimum age of employment". Each year this day has focused on various forms of child labour listed in the convention number 182 of ILO starting with the worst forms, such as child trafficking. This year it is focusing on elimination of child labour in agriculture. This is the sector in which almost 70% children are working right now. The remaining 30% work in various other fields of life. The main purpose of celebrating this day is to eliminate child labour from the world. As a developing country, we should adopt the steps necessary to eliminate this menace from the country and brighten the future of our children. -ZAHID M. KHAN GISHKORI, via e-mail, June 10.

ePaper - Nawaiwaqt