DADU - A Joint Investigation Team (JIT) formed by Sindh Chief Minster visited Faiz Chandio village of Mehar Taluka to inquire into the fire incident that claimed at least ten lives on Thursday.

The team of officials, headed by Sindh’s Home Secretary Saeed Ahmed Mangario inspected the village that suffered a shock of at least eight deaths in the fire incident, which could have been prevented in case of prompt action from the emergency agencies and local authorities.

Another investigation team constituted by the DIG Police Hyderabad also inspected the location. The team recording statements of the affected families and local administration officials in presence of the Deputy Commissioner Dadu district.

Deadly fire incident has exposed the incompetence of the Sindh administration with regard to response to an emergency situation.

Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Ali Shah today said that Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif has announced financial compensation of Rs10 million to the families of Mehar fire victims.

Sindh Chief Minister Murad Ali Shah admitted on Thursday that the response to the village fire in Dadu district on April 18 was “very slow” and vowed to punish whoever was responsible.

Nine children were burnt to death and more than 20 other men and women suffered severe burns when a fire raged through Faiz Mohammad Daryani Chandio village and reduced all 50 houses and everything present inside to ashes. Around 150 buffaloes, cows, goats and other animals also perished in the fire.

In two other similar incidents of fire within the district, over 60 houses were destroyed and dozens of animals perished.

Talking to the media in Islamabad today, Shah said the fire brigade of the municipality closest to the village — which is located some 30 kilometres from the Mehar town of Dadu district — was damaged because of which fire tenders had to be mobilised from other areas.

PM announces financial compensation of Rs10m to families of victims of fire incident: Sindh CM

“I admit that the response was very slow and whoever is responsible [will be punished]. Our job is to provide immediate relief to people.”

The chief minister said the deputy commissioner and the local administration provided cooked food to the affected people while the Provincial Disaster Management Authority also provided “complete relief”.

Shah also shared that at his instruction, the chief secretary formed a committee under the supervision of the home secretary to determine the reasons behind the delayed response. “I have given [them] three to seven days to present that report. Whoever was responsible will be punished,” he insisted.

Shah said the provincial government would rebuild all the houses damaged by the fire, adding that the special assistant of the Shaheed Mohtarma Benazir Bhutto Housing Programme had also visited the village.

In addition, the provincial government would also provide compensation for the lives and animals lost, he said, vowing to “look after them (affected people) completely”.

He shared that he called on Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif earlier in the day, adding that the premier announced the federal government would contribute Rs10 million for relief efforts.

Sindh Chief Minister Syed Murad Shah accompanied by Local Government Minister Syed Nasir Shah visited the site of incident and announced relief package and investigation.

As per reports, no ambulances from district headquarter Dadu, Mehar and Khairpur Nathan Shah reached to shift the injured and the dead. They were shifted to a local hospital in police mobiles.