US officials cold response to cops

LAHORE US Consulate officials in Lahore misbehaved with the police investigators and refused to respond to their queries as the cops visited the Consul Generals office early Tuesday to impound the vehicle and arrest the second US killer. On Friday, Chief Justice of the Lahore High Court directed the police investigators to arrest the driver of US consulates vehicle that had crushed a 25-year-old Pakistani to death, following the killings of two Pakistanis by the CIA agent Raymond Davis. Three US officials, unidentified so far, riding on a luxury vehicle of the Consulate had killed a motorcyclist, Ubaid-ur-Rehman, under the car while they were fleeing from busy Mozang intersection, where Davis had gunned down two Pakistani motorcyclists. US officials said that the second vehicle rushed to the crime scene for Davis rescue but it killed another motorcyclist owing to reckless driving. The US officials alongwith the driver managed to reach the Consulate while the police had captured Raymond Davis from the crime scene. According to the police spokesman, 'on the directives of Capital City Police Officer (CCPO) Muhammad Aslam Tareen, the Lahore Police Investigation team headed by SP Investigation Civil Lines Ali Malik alongwith DSPs concerned visited on Tuesday the US Consulate Lahore in connection with the FIR (No 48 and dated 27/01/2011) registered at Police Station Lytton Road. The police investigators visited the Consulate so that, in accordance with the FIR, concerned vehicle, alongwith its driver, could be acquired in order to give practical shape to the investigation of the above mentioned FIR. When this police team arrived at the US Consulate gate at 10.23am, the security guard of the Consulate Mazhar Iqbal acquired their names and mobile phone numbers in order to inform the US officials inside. At 10.48 am, the Regional Security Officer of US Consulate Agha Tanveer Hussain, came out at the main gate and said that, 'since they have not received any instructions from the US Embassy (Islamabad) to provide any sort of information in this regard, therefore no official of US Consulate would either meet them or provide them any information, so they can go back. Ultimately, 'at 10.51 am, the investigation team of Lahore Police returned from the main gate of US Consulate without acquiring any information, the police spokesman added.

ePaper - Nawaiwaqt