ISLAMABAD- Pakistan on Tuesday rejected claims by senior Afghan officials that Pakistani troops had been involved in fighting in southern Helmand province, where Taliban have taken control of some areas.
Afghan national security advisor, Dr. Rangin Dadfar Spanta, claimed on Monday that Pakistani forces have direct link in deadly clashes in Sangin district of Helmand province.
“We have seen with deep dismay the allegations by certain Afghan officials seeking to link Pakistan security personnel with the armed clashes in Helmand Province,” the Pakistani Foreign Ministry said.
“We reject these allegations as completely baseless,” the Foreign Ministry spokesperson said in a statement.
Spanta told a news conference in Kabul the recent clashes in Helmand and attack on eastern Kunar provinces are an “obvious violation by Pakistan”.
The Afghan adviser who visited Pakistan for anti-terror talks last week, also said he is still doubtful regarding Pakistan’s sincere cooperation in fight against terrorism, despite he called his recent trip to Pakistan satisfactory.
“At a time when Pakistan is engaged in serious efforts with Afghanistan to address common challenges, it is imperative to refrain from making comments that would detract us from our efforts to create a conducive environment for positive and productive engagement,” the Pakistani spokesperson said.
Pakistan and Afghanistan had agreed on the establishment of a joint working group on security issues during Spanta visit and the first meeting of the group is scheduled in Islamabad on July 3